Saturday, September 3, 2011

Roadtrip

I have had extreme anxiety over a possible Labor Day vacation. We have back and forth to Atlanta quite a bit in the past month, so I was ready to have a staycation. My Mom and sister begged me to bring the little guy to Cashiers, but I was determined to stay at home and relax (and save gas money).

Then my sweet husband informed me that he would be dove hunting ALL.WEEKEND. Well, it would not be fun to have a staycation by myself, would it? The problem is that I would have to make the 7 hour trek by myself with a 13 month old that does not like to be in the car for over an hour. Sounds fun, right?

I literally lost sleep deciding whether or not I would go on a week long vacation b/c the car ride might be too hard. That is not normal is it? I should be counting my blessings that I have the ability to travel on a whim and take my baby and have a nice (*cool*) place to go. I was so scared though!

I finally decided to bite the bullet and just go.

I made plans to have lunch in Macon with my BFF from college, Elizabeth and her precious daughter, Ella. The last time I saw Ella she was 2 months old, and Elizabeth has NEVER met Hawkins {gasp}! Then we would stop in Atlanta and pick up my Mom before completing the marathon trip to North Carolina.

The first part of the trip was {dare I say} easy. Hawkins slept the first hour and 15 minutes and then just sat there when he woke up...holding his blankie and his sippy cup and just sitting like the sweetest angel I have ever seen. We had lunch with the girls at Chick-fil-a and he played on the playground. It was HOT. Literally lots of sweating. It was SO GOOD to see my old friend Elizabeth and our babies had fun playing together.

I think he got really hot and tired b/c he got back in the car sweetly and then fell back asleep for 30 minutes. I was prepared for the worst when we still had over an hour to Atlanta, but he just watched his DVD and munched on the occasional baby mum mum passed back to him from his Mommy.

We picked up Honey in Atlanta and then all hell broke lose. Hawkins literally refused to get back in the car - arched back, red face, screaming. I felt like a child abuser! Nothing could persuade him in the carseat, not even his blankie. We waiting awhile and let him play around and then finally forced him in.

After some real tears he {briefly} fell asleep and I had a panic attack. THIS is what I was afraid of, and THIS is why I didn't want to travel with him. Luckily, my Mom drove that last leg, and I could regain my composure. She reminded me that is just what happens when you have a baby and everyone was OK. I would be insane if I just stayed at home all the time b/c tears were shed in the car, right?

He actually did pretty well the rest of the way, so all and all it was not too bad of a long drive.

We arrived, unpacked and the little booger ran around to his heart's content. He is really such a sweet little boo boo. That is something I have never written on this blog...Hawkins' nickname is Boo Boo...and sometimes Mr. Boo Boo. I hope it doesn't stick for too long, but I love it. I started calling that when he was a baby and have never stopped.

It was actually chilly when we woke up this morning. I sat on the porch overlooking the mountains and realized it was all worth it. I miss Robbie terribly, but we are having fun with Honey and Aunt Nina. I even got an afternoon "out" and went to an adult clothing store and the grocery store - it's a wild weekend!

Have a fun Labor Day weekend!


1 comment:

Keri Sullivan Ninness said...

Um, you are not crazy for letting the car hold you back. Mary Kate just did the back arching today and knocked her head into the window. Lovely. I question 2.5 hour trips alone because of my car-companion. Hope it was a wonderful trip!