Saturday, August 13, 2011

Latest happenings

So, only 2 days into school and Hawkins is sick. We have got to work on that child's immune system. He woke up Thursday morning with a runny nose, so we played hooky from school that day.

I am hesitant to write about this, but I want to discuss it.

Later that day I did the thing that all Mother's fear as I dialed the numbers 9-1-1 into the telephone as a held my child in my arms. It is hard to describe what happened - it was all SO fast and so scary that my mind has blacked out parts of it. I remember sitting on the couch as Hawkins played with Beau on the floor. Hawkins was patting him then swung his leg over to try to ride him, which has been his new favorite past time. He lost his balance and dove forward hitting his head on the floor (rug over hardwood). I watched the whole thing and didn't think it was that bad of a fall - he was barely a foot off the ground. He started screaming crying and I instantly picked him up and put his head to my shoulder.

Then I noticed that his limbs were tight and stiff. I pulled him away from me to check him out and saw the most horrifying sight - which again is very hard to describe. His arms were stiff and straight up in the air and his head sunk into his neck. He was conscious, but sort of twitching...I think...I can't really remember. His limbs and body were contorted and everything was wrong about it. I just know it was so bad that I instantly called 911 without a second thought. I was filled with panic and fear that was crippling. I tried to pull it together and grab my keys, shoes, cell phone ready to drive to the ER.

While I was on the phone his stiffness went back to normal and he laid quiet and calm on my shoulder his eyes closing and then opening. I was afraid he was passing out. They sent EMS and then I called Robbie. He was home within 5 minutes. By the time Robbie got home Hawkins was quiet as a mouse on my shoulder, but completely coherent and acting fine - just quiet.

He went straight to Robbie and by the time the EMS got there (3 minutes later) he was walking around, pointing and laughing.

I am baffled at what happened. A similar situation has actually happened 3 times before, but not to his severity. He will fall and bump his head and his body reacts to locking up and hitting a reset button. It is the scariest thing EVER! Robbie did some internet research and found something called "breath holding spells" and it describes what Hawkins is doing pretty accurately.

Has anyone ever had this experience with this behavior before or heard about this?

No comments: