Sunday, June 26, 2011

First foods

Hawkins is almost 11 months old and we have been experimenting with "real" food for a few weeks now. He is very resistant to any chunky foods, so this has been tough! We have been practicing his pincer grasp (how he grabs food with his thumb and forefinger), and it was crazy how one day he couldn't do it and the next day he could! He is a pro now at picking up puffs, yogurt melts and goldfish and putting them in his mouth. Those 3 things are about the only things he will eat! I thought surely he would use this new trick to put other foods in his mouth too - no such luck!

I have received advice from several friends and online resources and everyone says "Oh, my child will eat anything! Just cut up food you are eating and give it to them." Yeah right, Hawkins will pick out the grapes or other food and throw them promptly on the floor while saving the puffs to eat. It is funny and frustrating at the same time. I can tell he wants to eat big boy food, but he doesn't like the texture!

Here are foods we have tried (in no particular order): the 3 above mentioned favorites, grapes, pasta, cinnamon toast, carrots, mashed potatoes, green beans, bananas. He will eat the potatoes and carrots with some applesauce mixed in, but he is not a huge fan. He won't even think about putting the green beans or grapes in his mouth. If I sneak one in, he makes the funniest face and spits it back out - and sometimes gags and throws up - nice. I just got mac and cheese to try, so we will see if he likes that.

He has toast every morning for breakfast and has gotten really good with it. I give him a half a piece and he can hold it and take little bites. Most days he throws more on the floor than he puts in his mouth though.

He still loves purees the best and could live exclusively in puffs, goldfish and yogurt melts alone. I worry that he is not going to get enough nutrition when we stops drinking formula.

I know this is a slow process and I have to keep giving him the food over and over until he gets used to them. Any advice for me???

No comments: