Thursday, February 17, 2011

Traveling with baby

I learned alot from flying with Hawkins to Punta Cana. First and for most - buy alot of ziploc bags :)

We flew Delta, so I checked their website and called them several times to make sure I was aware of there policies of traveling with an infant. They do allow formula, breast milk and baby food on the plane. We got to go through a separate line for security and we got to board the plane first. We took the BOB stroller and strolled all the way to the gate and "gate checked" it there. They gave us a little ticket and it was waiting for us right when we got off the plane. Pretty cool and convenient!

I don't know how anyone could fly with an infant alone. I had my husband and 5 other family members! My Dad did not take a carry on so that he could help us carry stuff. I had a carry on, my purse AND a diaper bag (Hawkins was technically allowed a diaper bag). If I was alone there is no way I could have carried him plus 2 bags, but b/c I had some extra hands this worked out.

I am always paranoid that my bags will get lost, so Robbie's carry-on was strictly clothes, milk and items we would need "just in case". It was stored in the overhead compartment and not intended to be opened on the plane.

In my purse I had our passports and my usual purse stuff. In the diaper bag was what I needed quickly and close to me - such as his baby food for breakfast and lunch, toys, burp clothes, wet and dry paper towels, hand sanitizer, face wipes, etc. In my carry on was more toys and more "extra" things.

I had separate ziploc bags for EVERYTHING. One was labeled "breakfast" and had his food and a disposable spoon - same for lunch. One bag had wet paper towels in it (that really came in handy!) and on had dry ones (which I never used). One for passports, several for formula and extra food, etc.

I nursed Hawkins on the plane, so I didn't have to worry about bottles. (I did have one bottle fixed just in case he was distracted and didn't want to nurse.) Luckily he did great and I did not have to use the bottle. I forgot my nursing cover (sigh...), so we had to improvise with a blanket. I sat in the window seat and Robbie sat next to me and held up the blanket. I felt completely comfortable b/c he was covering me. If I was alone I would have felt uncomfortable nursing in public like that.

The flight there Hawkins did great. He took 2 little naps and stayed with us in the seat the whole time. There was no changing table on the plane (which needs to be added I think!), so we just laid him across our 2 laps and quickly changed it right there in our seats. Of course Hawkins had a dirty diaper as soon as we took off :) Thanks buddy.

The flight home was another story. He was really fussy and would not sleep. I nursed him several times and he would doze off momentarily. We walked him up and down the aisles and did the best we could, but it was not fun.

Overall, it was not too bad b/c I felt very prepared. It just takes some planning ahead with the timing of his schedule and having everything you need (diapers, milk, food, etc).

Good luck and let me know if you have any specific questions!

No comments: