Friday, July 16, 2010

What a week!

So much has happened in the past few days I don't know where to begin.

I went to my regular OB appointment on Tuesday and had an ultrasound. She wanted to see Baby Raybon's measurements and estimated fetal weight. The weight is approximate and could be as much as 2 lbs in either direction, but based on his measurements he is 7 lbs and 7 ozs - at 36 1/2 weeks! Wow, what a big boy.

She is more concerned that his head is in the 95th percentile and his abdomen is in the 75th percentile. This leads her to believe he could have shoulder dystocia, which basically means his shoulders could get stuck in a natural delivery. If this happened it would be too late for a c-section and they would have to pull him out, which could led to a broken shoulder, collar bone or extensive nerve damage. Unfortunately, there is no way to know if this is going to happen, but we have to weigh the risks. This is not the first time they have told me he is a big baby - we have known this all along!

Our alternative is to schedule a C-section and eliminate the risk for the shoulder complication. After much thinking and research, Robbie and I think this is the best option. It is a major surgery, which can always have complications, but it eliminates this large risk for our son, which is our main concern.

One day after learning all of this I went for a regular mole check with my dermatologist in Tallahassee. My mind was so occupied with the baby and the c-section I didn't even think he might find more suspicious moles to remove. Well, he did. He found 4. One in particular that he is very concerned about and wants removed right away with a large incision. Because of the urgency of my skin cancer history and because I will be having this baby in a couple of weeks we decided to do surgery right away, so that I could heal before the baby comes.

I went for surgery this morning and the plastic surgeon removed 3 of the moles. (The fourth mole is less of a concern and can come off down the road.) I was VERY lucky that he could fit me in on such short notice. God has truly blessed me with diligent and kind doctors to watch over me. They all get cheesestraws as a reward! The worst part was injecting the numbing medicine, which hurt like heck. I screamed like a baby. I told Robbie that was more evidence that I am not cut out for regular child birth :)

All went well with the surgery and they had me out of there in a little over an hour. Robbie brought me home where I have been laid up in bed ALL afternoon. One of the spots is on my heel, which makes it nearly impossible to walk. Not very good for a 37 week pregnant woman who needs to go to the bathroom every 30 minutes :) But I am managing. I remember from my last surgery the pain is the worst for the first 24 hours then it just gets better and easier. I am thankful I have the weekend for Robbie to take care of me!!

Now I need your prayers that the path report comes back clear so they don't have to take more tissue and I can be cancer free.

That is the Raybon update for the week! Hopefully next week will be much less eventful. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers as we go through this difficult hurdle right before we met our son.

Love,
Frances

No comments: