Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Surgery

I had surgery on Monday for the melanoma on my leg and the atypical mole on my arm. I cannot believe Baby Raybon already went through his first surgery!

Thank you so much for all the thoughts and prayers! The Lord sent me the best surgeon and nurse team I could have asked for. They used local anesthesia instead of putting me completely under - this was a huge blessing. It did hurt some, but after I was numbed up I could not feel a thing. The surgeon was pretty honest that he would leave a pretty bad scar on my leg because he had to take out 1cm all the way around the mole, which ends up being 2cm across each direction. Yikes. I have not seen it, because I looked away the whole time and he bandaged me so I did not see the stitches.

He warned me that it would be sore and to stay off my feet as much as possible. I really had not thought about the pain I would be in after the surgery. Man oh man was he right. I have been in the most pain I have ever been in for the past 2 days. I woke up this morning and wondered if childbirth would be this painful! It is getting better with Tylenol and time. Luckily I am at my parents house and my Mom is taking good care of me while Robbie works!

The doctor also emphasized how important it will be to get my moles checked every 3 months. My chances for getting another melanoma are now very high. Get your moles checked and stay out of the sun! It is not worth what I just went through.

Thank you again for your thoughts and prayers. I appreciate them so much.

No comments: