Thursday, June 13, 2013

Potty training

Hawkins had a 2 week break between school and the summer program he is doing, so I decided it was time to potty train!  Might as well put those 2 weeks staying at home to good use, right?

*Warning:  this post might contain wording related to using the potty :)  If you are not interested in recording this milestone us you don't have to read the rest of this post!

When Hawkins was 2 and a 1/2 he informed me one morning he wanted to poopie in the potty.  I laughed, but let him try...and he did it.  I was amazed.  That was in January and from then on he has only had a #2 in his diaper a handful of times.  Yes, my son is so smart he #2 potty trained himself - ha!

My Mom kept urging me to fully train him, but I was not ready, and I didn't feel like he was ready yet either.  I had a newborn and we were still living with my parents.  Just not ready...

It got to the point where he was 75% trained.  I would let him tee tee in the potty first thing in the morning, before and after naps, before bed and sometimes in between...but he still wore diapers and pull ups and wet those too.  I wasn't strict about it.

Then before I knew it May was here and school was over.  He had a 2 week break before his summer program started, so I thought, what the heck, let's give it a try.

We got fun pairs of big boy underwear and really talked it up.  Of course treats helped too.

Since we already had #2 down, training for #1 wasn't so hard...or messy.  Hawkins had a few accidents of course, but not many.  The weather actually was nice and we had just finished our new playset, so we stayed outside ALOT.  Little boys like to tee tee outside in case you did not know.

Here we are a few weeks later and he is potty trained!  If we go on a long car trip I will let him wear a pull up, but other than that he wears big boy underwear even in public!   (The first public restroom experience was interesting.)

We are so proud of our big boy!

No comments: